I was thrilled to begin my new recurring guest expert spot with a discussion about book marketing on the “Writestream Tuesday” podcast April 12, 2016.
Writestream co-founder and Tuesday host Daria Anne DiGiovanni first interviewed me on January 12. Since then, I’ve agreed to return to the show on a quarterly basis to talk shop and offer excellent advice to authors. For this episode, which went live April 12, 2016 at 1pm Eastern, the topic centered around book marketing and strategy. Daria used something I said during my first interview as the touchstone of our conversation: “Your book is your product, not your baby.”
This favorite mantra of mine is critical for authors to wrap their brains around when making the shift from artist/creator to publisher/marketer, a shift every author must make in order to successfully market his or her books. And in this “Writestream Tuesday” episode, Daria and I talk about marketing strategies and how authors can build their platforms to sell more books. I even share a few tips and tricks for free and low-cost marketing. We addressed such questions as:
- When is the best time to start marketing your book?
- What kind of things would you, and could you, do to market your book before it’s even out?
- How do you decide what to focus on first?
- How much should authors prepare to do before they publish vs. afterwards?
- What if you’re an author about to publish but you don’t have a platform?
- and more!
You know I always aim to overdeliver on content and actionable tips, so if you’re serious about successfully publishing and marketing a book, even if you’ve just started writing, don’t miss this info-packed hour. You can listen to the complete podcast here.
Subscribe and get your free checklist!
- Learn the nine steps every successful book project goes through and get tips on how to check crucial items off your list.