As if it weren’t hard enough to write a great book, many authors find it a challenge to then learn how to market that book well. And market it, you must. But what does a good marketing plan even look like, and how can authors avoid the common pitfalls that leave so many overwhelmed, burnt out, and frustrated?
Our own Ally Machate appeared recently on the December 19th episode of Keystroke Medium’s “The Writer’s Journey” live streaming show to discuss all this and more.
Hosted by Kalene and C. Steven Manley, the lively conversation ran for about an hour and contained a number of insights and tips including how to simplify your book marketing plan while still being effective, customizing your plan to your manuscript’s genre/audience, and utilizing the power of free. Other topics touched on include:
- the usefulness of ad platforms like Amazon and Facebook
- what a target audience or ideal reader really means, and how to figure out what yours is
- best practices for getting in the right mindset to sell more books
- why “trying all the things” can give you poorer results than trying just a few things at a time
- the best way to approach your marketing experiments
- why certain tactics work better for some authors and not so well for others
Originally airing live on both YouTube and Facebook via Streamyard, you can now click here to watch the complete episode. Feel free to share with your author friends on all your social media channels. Don’t forget to leave a comment for your hosts to let them know if you enjoyed the episode! And post any questions you have for Ally in the comments below.